Thursday, November 21, 2013

10 Christmas Activities That Will Bring Your Family Joy

With the busy holiday season coming up, it can get so hectic sometimes, we may find ourselves feeling overwhelmed, tired and detached from our own family while trying to prepare for the hustle and bustle of Christmas.  


In our home, we try to keep things very simple.  I can't say that it was always simple, because there was a time for many years, I was so overwhelmed during the holidays, that I just did not enjoy seeing November roll around on the calendar.  I stretched myself too far making plans and promises that were nearly possible to keep - and stay sane, that is.  
I'm thankful God began working on my heart about 8 Christmases ago, reminding me what the true meaning of Christmas is all about, teaching me that it isn't about how many gifts are under the tree, or how expensive those gifts were.  He showed me the real joy of Christmas time in celebrating the birth of our Lord Jesus and reverencing that special time in honor of Him.  We still give gifts to our children, and, until this very moment as I type this, I hadn't even thought about deciding many years ago to only give our kids three gifts each at Christmas.  Three Wisemen brought three gifts to Christ in the manger.  I smile just thinking about that, and I don't believe it is coincidence either.  

After the change in my own heart, I started to see the importance of our little family and spending quality time together.  I learned that it was alright to prioritize my time and saying "no" to a lot of extra activities outside our home was alright.  It's how I was able to find so much joy in the season instead of feeling like Ebenezer Scrooge.  I'm not advising anyone to not try to help others in need, participate in church activities or attend friends or family get-togethers, I'm just saying to make sure you allow time for yourself and your family first.  :)

I'm sharing 10 Christmas activities that I'm sure will bring your family joy this holiday season, plus a free printable list and Nativity coloring page.
Try them all, or pick a few and plan one or two activities a week throughout the month of December.
 If you'd like to print this list, here's the link:





Make this Christmas one that is as stress free as possible and centers around the true meaning of this season - The birth of Christ!

  Sharing with Proverbs 31 Thursdays 
 
***
If you enjoyed this post please share it.

Pin It!

You can connect with me here:

See What Pinterests Me Tweet Tweet!See My Photos On Flickr

4 comments:

Our Neck of the Woods said...

Great ideas! One of my favorite things is when it's time to pull the tree out and decorate it. So fun!

PS - I just love your house. It is gorgeous!

Debbie said...

your home is just beautiful marissa.

i printed a winter bucket list from pinterest....i was able to hand write in the activities i want to accomplish over winter. i have already started to check things off!!

Sabine said...

While searching for your Flickr account, I find you have a beautiful blog, too. You have an eye for beauty. I love your panda princess cat, too. She is gorgeous and you take great pictures of her.

Sabine said...

Oh, and I'm "Kadje" from MFP, in case I didn't tell you my real name.