Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Typically Typical Part I

Today is one of those typical days that I have around here. 
. . .
 
Wake up blurry eyed.
Meditate a bit before rising.
Try to figure out how to get my achy body that is sucked tightly into my TemperPedic wonder back-killer mattress,
 to start moving and eventually get up.
Waller and roll around until I get to the edge of the bed, then fall out to the floor, ungraciously, I might add.
(Is 'waller' a term known outside Appalachia?)

I fumble slowly, with eyes closed, to the bathroom, hand extended out to feel for the light switch.
Clean myself up, fix my long mane into a top-knot, get dressed (most of the time, but today is a robe day)
Now I am ready to tackle the day.
Only, not really, not until this ole' gal has a cup of  javaliciousness.
 
One cup of coffee later, I am ready to begin, but only in bulldog gear.  
I don't reach overdrive until I have at least 3 cups of coffee.  Period. 
 
I feel as if I spend a good portion of my day looking at this:
I am a homeschooling mama and there is always lessons to teach, pages to print, papers to grade and grades to record, not to mention soothing raw, frayed emotions because trying to understand pre-algebra is cause for melt-downs of epic proportions.
It is rarely calm, in fact, it feels chaotic and rushed these days.  
I am constantly racing with the clock trying to finish, trying to accomplish.
But, accomplish what?
Feeding my family?
Educating children following state guidelines according to what they say should be taught?
Cleaning?
More cooking?
Laundry?
Don't forget laughing and hugging and warm forehead kisses.
There are lots of those here in our chaotic house.
That's a glimpse of one-half of my typically typical day up here on the mountain, not that anyone asked me how a day in my life goes or anything.
 
:) 
 
Rurality Blog Hop #5

Pin It!

You can connect with me here:

See What Pinterests Me Tweet Tweet! See My Photos On Flickr

8 comments:

Raindrops and Daisies said...

Hi Marissa

I think that being a Mom means constantly juggling and chasing your tail and wishing that there were more hours in the day
and I suppose sometimes between
the laundry, ironing, bedmaking,
cooking etc we lose sight of the
things that matter!

Lovely post and maybe we should both try and slow down a little!!!

Have a good Wednesday and don't do too much


x

Gone Country said...

Ah, a cup of coffee and a red pen. I know Mama likes the coffee but I'm sure the kiddos don't like the red pen, ha!

Almost sounds like me trying to get out of bed only I have achy feet that don't really appreciate me standing on them first thing in the morning :)!

And yes, waller is used around here... at least in our house, lol!

Anne Payne said...

Oh Marissa, I love everything about this post! I was once a young homeschooling moma with all those same responsibilities. I'm still a homeschooling moma but only one is left and he is 16, so I don't have too much of all that chaotic stuff happening with school anymore but I can sure appreciate all that you do in a day!!! May I ask which state you are in, here in the south, that you have to teach to their requirements?

Buttons said...

I love this the way you wrote it had me thinking it was me for a moment. OK not the homeschooling thing but the rest of it.
Great post. I love the day in the life of ........ B

Debbie said...

the best job ever marissa, don't ever forget that!!

Lisa Gordon said...

I am a teacher also, but I think homeschooling is a whole different "ball game," and I have so much respect for those who undertake it. Kudos to you!

Jill said...

I love hearing about your days! You're a good MaMa!

Madge Bloom said...

LOVE this post, oh and yes, I think 'waller' is a word here in my house... your days sound busy but fulfilling... Thank you for joining in 'Rurality Blog Hop #5' Hope to see you next Wednesday for #6...