Thursday, March 7, 2013

Pho·tog·ra·phy

I have always loved and appreciated photographs.  Not just those magazine perfect photos, but I'm talking about all kinds of photos.  I see the beauty in most all photos, whether they be taken with a cell phone, a point-and-shoot, a disposable thing you get from the store and of course SLR's.
SOOC - No editing.
Edited

I wanted to take photos of my kids and not have to pay a photographer a huge fee every time I wanted a new photo, so, I purchased my first SLR camera three years ago and Photoshop Elements about a month later. 
I decided right from the get-go, that I was not going to take photos in auto-mode, because, why would I buy an expensive camera to shoot in automatic when I could just buy a point-and-shoot to do that with?

I set it to manual and started trying to figure the thing out.  And if I told you how I did it, you might laugh or think it is the craziest thing you've ever heard in your life.

But, I'm going to tell you anyways.

I would take a photo in auto, noting what the display was showing, then I'd switch over to manual then try to mimic the settings from auto and tweak the dials from there.  At that time, I had no idea what any of the controls meant. 
I just fiddled around until I liked what I saw.  Crazy?  Yep.  It worked for me pretty well, but don't get me wrong, I don't claim to be an outstanding photograph taker.  I was and am still learning.  Always learning.
I can re-read a paragraph three times and not understand it any better each time I read through it, but I can touch something, hold it, feel of it, think about it - and I can learn.  I am an odd one, I know.

I took a workshop for learning the basics of PSE 8 given by Amanda Padgett at Everyday Elements a couple years ago.  I'm not sure if she still gives them or not.  But if she does, I recommend her - she is down to earth and easy to understand.  I played around with PSE a lot in those days and figured out a lot of things on my own through trial and error - lots of errors.  :)
SOOC - No editing.


Edited 

I have since stopped taking as many photos, not because I don't enjoy it, but because I can't seem to find the time...or something.  Another random and somewhat odd fact about me is that I don't enjoy taking people photos - at all.
 I like to take photos of rocks and trees and animals and flowers and food, basically anything that is not human.  I can take 20 photos of the same rock and still not be satisfied with the way it looks. 

For the past couple days, I've made the time to take a few photos and it has felt good.  I'm looking forward to spring so I can spend lots of time outside with my camera and the birds.  :)



Pin It!

You can connect with me here:

See What Pinterests Me Tweet Tweet! See My Photos On Flickr

10 comments:

Buttons said...

Oh I love the way you learned how to edit, I never edit because I guess not time I spend way to much time behind the lens photographing the same rock or tree over and over. I think we are are alike that way.
Keep doing what you are doing I really like it. B

Barb Brookbank said...

I'm glad you took the time to take these photos - I love the light you added to the second shot - which by the way is very intriguing - what masterpiece is in the works? :)

Maggid said...

How Fun!! I have begun to carry a camera, but - I generally get caught up in whatever I'm doing - no photos, only terrific memories . . UNLESS - it's a trip to "The Garden" (we have a wonderful botanical garden here) - I go with a photo-intention - and it is all fun. I doubt my photos would win awards, but they make me happy. Than you for sharing your adventure to beautifully . . it's good to have you for company along the Way . . . love & love, -g-

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

You certainly take beautiful photos.

Donna said...

These are beautiful shots!!
I Still have a lot to learn using my Canon Rebel XT.

Gina Gao said...

These are really pretty shots! I liked this post very much.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

TexWisGirl said...

you're ahead of me in the photography knowledge dept. i still let the camera do most of the thinking.

Debbie said...

i point and shoot with my fancy nikon and could not be happier with the results. i never edit and just recently started to "auto adjust" the pictures with the basic program on my computer.

i love pictures, raw and unedited, i guess i am old fashioned that way!!

Gone Country said...

I don't like shooting people either. Give me a weed and I'll spend hours trying to get it just right but people, bleh.

I'm using PSE9 and am considering Lightroom as well. I might see if there's a trial version I can test out. I've seen some beautifully edited photos from it.

Jill said...

These are wonderful shots, Marissa!