Saturday, February 16, 2013

Thrifty Find

If you've read my old blog for the past couple years, you'll probably remember that I am not a typical female shopper.  I have never enjoyed going clothes or shoes shopping, but give me a home improvement store, garden store or a thrift store - and I'm good to go.  There are a couple thrift stores in the county that I live in.  We call them "junk stores" around here, but hey, one persons junk is another persons treasure, right?  I think the technical term is vendors mall, but I laugh at that every time I say it. 

I've been visiting there recently and have found some pretty good treasures.  My daughter has been asking for another side table to go on the farthest side of her bed for a while now.  I really hated to pay all the money to buy a matching nightstand from the furniture collection she has, so we set out on a search for something that would 'go' with the rest of her furniture.  For most of my life, I have liked everything very matchy-matchy and contemporary, but for some odd reason (age maybe?) I'm enjoying a more relaxed eclectic type of decor.  I actually have traded to mix-matched pieces throughout my house.  Granny-chic?  :)

My daughter spotted this old vintage sewing table last week and believe it or not, another couple came around and was trying to look at it while my daughter and mom had been there holding on to it for dear life until I could get to that side of the store to give the go ahead to buy it.  I was definitely not trying to be rude, but after I saw the table, I quickly snatched off the price ticket and went promptly to pay for it.  I paid for it, but before I could get it loaded into the car, that couple was still trying to take it from her.  Sorry.  That table is ours.  
We've searched for 2 years for the perfect piece and we didn't intend on letting it get away.  : ) $20.00 - solid and sturdy real wood, oak probably.  It used to be stained dark brown, but it's previous owner had painted it this creamy white, but didn't paint the inside, so we can see the original wood color.


 Excuse the photo bomber.  She loved it just as much as we did.  The top opens to make a long table top, inside is where the sewing machine would have gone.  The drawer opens, but there is nothing there.  The mount for the sewing machine is missing, but that's ok.  We are going to rig some type of basket system that she can use for storage and give it a fresh coat of white paint this spring.

In Blogger news, I switched away from Internet Explorer browser and have had no trouble uploading photos to my blog.  I don't even have to use html mode.  I am a happy blogger again.  To be honest, my computer is acting so much better now that I have stopped using Internet Explorer.  Many thanks to all who suggested this to me!
 
Happy Saturday!
 
If You Enjoyed This Post Please Share it.

Pin It!

11 comments:

Buttons said...

That is a great find. Love your kitty.
I stopped using Internet Explorer last year what a difference. B

Raindrops and Daisies said...

Wow that is a fantastic find
- lucky you!

Love the kitty too.

Happy Saturday my friend.


x

Lynda said...

That is a cute cat. Maybe all your photos should include your cat, lol. The table's a great find. So glad you were able to "snatch" it up.

Gone Country said...

I thought you were writing about me at the beginning of this post about shopping and matching furniture, lol! I've also gotten away from matchy-matchy and am enjoying 'the hunt' so quality stuff at thrift stores.

What did you switch to? I think I'm using Google Chrome and I'm having issues with it.

Debbie said...

hi marissa, what a great find!!

i am not much of a shopper either, in any kind of store.

i buy my furniture new but always miss matched. and i love mixed fabrics in the same room...not a fan of matchy, match!!

this piece does look wonderful for a bedside table or even an entry way!!

my blog just started working again, a few weeks back. i am still using internet explorer!!

have a great weekend with the kiddos!!

Enie Dub said...

Great find, it's lovely!

Robyn said...

It is always fun to find treasures in unexpected places!

I am not big on clothes or shoe shopping either.

Thanks for stopping in at my blog for the Valentine’s Day Blog Party.

Amy said...

What a great piece! Good find!

Amy from Ireland
http://amydublinia.blogspot.ie/

SweetMarie said...

Cute find! I find deals all the time at thrift stores. :)

Dayngr said...

That's an awesome find. I'm always on the lookout for hidden treasure for my new home. Loved finding your blog today, randomly from someone's Boost-My-Blog (BMB) party. I'm a digital photography addict!

Nancy Claeys said...

I have an old sewing cabinet that someone painted ugly pansies on and then put about 40 coats of polyurethane over it. I need to redo that some day. Love your find!