Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Making Sauerkraut The Old-Fashioned Way

My first batch of fermented vegetables turned out delicious - I have only one thing I would have done differently, but you live and learn, right?  I put a little too many onions for my taste and the onion flavor is the first thing I taste when I take a bite.  This batch was fermented in a regular slow cooker crock pot that can be removed from the heating element shell and worked fine.  There was some surface scum because I lifted the lid a few times and broke my air tight seal, which is harmless, but such a turn off for me.  My conclusion is that a regular crock can definitely be used, but you do get the scum and if you can live with it, then so can I! :)

Fermented cabbage, cauliflower, carrots and onion




My new TSM Fermentation Pot arrived and I promptly started a new batch of just plain ole' sauerkraut on Monday.  I plan on doing a full review of the crock after this batch is finished.  So far, I really like the crock, although the 10 liter pot is a bit heavy on my wrists, but I managed fairly well.


 
 






 
 
If You Enjoyed This Post Please Share it.

Pin It!


13 comments:

Barb Brookbank said...

Hi Marissa - first, your fermented veggies look great! Second - I can't imagine why Blogger would be giving you so much grief. I hope I don't offend you since I know you are a savvy tech/blogger - but do you resize your photos for the web?

Gone Country said...

MMMMmmmm! I like the cabbage, cauliflower, carrot and onion combo.

I haven't had as much difficulty as you loading images but I have had lots of trouble lately with pages not loading right away. There are times when I have to refresh the page three times or more. Very frustrating.

I do know that my next computer will be a Mac/Apple. They just seem to work seamlessly will all apps.

Ellie said...

That looks like a pretty big crockpot to me!
Your vegetable mix does look tasty.
I don't have any more problems with my pictures with blogger anymore. Hope you get your problems fixed soon.

A Journey Called Life said...

Hi Barb
Not offended at all :) Yes, I resize for web with Photoshop.
Are you glad you moved to WP?

A Journey Called Life said...

I agree - I'd love to have a Mac!

A Journey Called Life said...

Thanks Ellie!

rkbsnana said...

Well I never heard of fermented vegetable.

Nancy Claeys said...

I've seen alot of recipes for fermented veggies online -- love how pretty yours turned out Marissa!

Thanks for participating in the Boost-My-Blog Party!

Judy said...

I have never tried making fermented vegetables. Yours looks so yummy, I'll have to try this. I came over from the Boost-My-Blog party.

debra @ homespun said...

visiting from BMB party over at Rural Journal / Happy Valentine's Day : )

By the way I started blogging late may and did not know a THING about any of it but I followed a few articles advice and did a hosted blog. So I use Dreamhost, and I use Wordpress. Uploading photos to Wordpress is easy as can be :)

Beth @ E. lizard Breath Speaks said...

hey, i hopped over from Boost-My-Blog Party! nice to meet ya. have a great <3 Day!! big hugs. look yummy. ( :

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Your veggies look great!

Thanks for participating in the Boost My Blog party :-)

Nicki said...

That sounds so good!