Saturday, February 2, 2013

Groundhogs Day :: Lacto-Fermented Vegetables

Today is (or would have been) my mom and dad's 43rd wedding anniversary.  It has been difficult because I always made a big deal over my parents' anniversary, cooked for them, etc. and because the 8th is coming up...that's the day I found dad not breathing and called 911 and he was flown to TN and then he fought for his life until March 14th - 2011.  I have wanted to eat all day...just for comfort or from being anxious or something.
 
 
This morning, as I stood over my tea kettle waiting on the water to boil, I noticed my tea had a little message for me...
"You must know that you can swim through every tide and change of time."
 
How fitting for me today.
 
 
I've been doing a lot of research on lacto-fermented vegetables, and although I've canned kraut and other veggies for a while, I've never done it the old fashioned way like my grandparents & great grand parents did it.  I have memories of my grandma telling me a few years ago how that when she was growing up, her mom would tell her to go out and get some kraut for supper.  She'd take a big bowl and out the back door to the big wood barrel.  She'd removed the big heavy lid and use the old tin water-dipper to dip out the kraut.  She said they always had a big barrel of kraut out the back door, year round.   My great grand parents lived to see the 100's.  How about that?  :)
 
I used my crock pot to get started and if it turns out well, I may invest in a larger fermenting crock.  There are so many benefits from these types of food with live cultures - I'm sure everyone has heard about how good they are for your gut, your immune system, for fighting cancer and the list goes on...
 
 
 
My biggest problem is waiting for the 2-4 weeks to see what the end results are.  Wish my little buglets luck!
 
 
If You Enjoyed This Post Please Share it.

Pin It!

4 comments:

Debbie said...

i am not a good waiter....love the message on your tea, i use lipton, they don't provide a cool message!!

i would enjoy that!!

Lynnie S said...

We made sauerkraut a while ago, you will LOVE it! We kept ours in the crock until it was all gone. So for months, it was "lived" in the crock submerged under the water until we scooped some out. I think you need to take the plastic and glass lid off of the crock though. Just cover it with a large tea cloth. The cultures need to breath. You might use a small dinner plate to put on top of the kraut to submerge it below the water. You don't want any cabbage above the water, it will mold. Anyway, just a few tidbits that we learned when we made our first!

Ellie said...

I am sorry you are struggling with your parent's anniversary date.
What a great note your teabag. Sometimes we need wee messages like this.
I hope tomorrow is better for you :))

Gone Country said...

Somehow I missed this post...

I hope you're emotionally doing better by now. I know it will be hard for many years to come but I pray God will give you peace.

This looks totally like something I would love to try. We love kraut! Like you, though, I think I will have trouble waiting. I'll have to put it somewhere where I won't see it everyday. Maybe in the cargo trailer.

I hope you like you're new crock. It looks nice. How big is it and how much will it hold?